Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Out n' about

Yes, I'm the world's worst selfie-taker.  This morning Dad and I took an early walk at a park near the house. The muggy monsoon storms moved east last night, leaving the air balmy and cooler than normal.  By the weekend when my brother Dave arrives, Vegas will be back to normal triple digit highs.

I have a bothersome scratchy throat that keeps me awake chain-sucking cough drops.  I thought I might be coming down with a cold, heaven forbid.  But Marji made a long-distance diagnosis this morning: "Las Vegas Summer Throat."

Being a hypochondriac, of course I Googled it.  It's a well-documented syndrome here in the desert. The tough climate and dry, dusty, hot air will do a number on your throat, sinuses and eyes:

The symptoms of Vegas throat are similar to having a cold or allergies. Post nasal drip, scratchy throat, loss of voice, coughing, having to clear your throat often, bloody nose, stinging eyes, itchy nasal passages and a feeling of being “hungover” are all symptoms of this condition.

Hungover? That common Las Vegas feeling. Now we know what to blame it on. Ha!

Tomorrow I return to the (sort of) moist Pacific Northwest. In a few days, Seattle will break the all-time record for consecutive days without precipitation. The big water bill is in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment