Friday, November 18, 2016

Island get-away



My name is "Moe"

I had a nice break from routine yesterday. I went over to Vashon Island with my friend Maryanne.  She keeps her horse at a boarding stable there, and wanted me to see a Quarterhorse whose owner is out of the country and needs help taking care of him.

Vashon Island is close but a world away.  The Fauntleroy ferry dock is 15 minutes from our house and the ride to the island takes 20 minutes.  Then the barn is 10-minute country drive on the other side. About an hour total if you time it right, but compared to our manic freeways it's a stress-free commute.

Vashon Island still feels rural with lots of open space and farms.  The only town is funky and kind of artsy, but not in that posh way.  There are no big apartment buildings, chain stores or housing developments. Yet.

The islanders want to "keep Vashon weird" but there's a big influx of new money and development all over Puget Sound.  In 25 years, Vashon will probably be another tony Bainbridge Island.  The island is too close to Seattle to hold off development for much longer.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what we're losing in this country and it fills me with dread for the future.  I suppose all the more important to enjoy the treasures that still exist. 

It was another beautiful, strangely warm November day.  We rode along a quiet road then into a large park for about an hour without encountering anyone.  I never realized Vashon was such a horse friendly community-- Maryanne said there are trails all over the island and even places to ride on the beach.

I didn't take any pictures from horseback because I was paying full attention to my new mount.  But we had great views of the water and Mt. Rainier, and riding open terrain felt completely different from the dense forests in the Cascade foothills.

"Moe" was a pretty good boy. He has a couple of quirks, but he's been a dude horse and a beginner lesson horse so I think I can handle him :-) He was quiet and felt safe on the trails, the most important thing.

We haven't worked out the details, but hopefully Maryanne and I can ride one day a week this winter. Vashon Island is a nice little break from reality.


Vashon Island ferry

No comments:

Post a Comment