Saturday, November 26, 2016

A little Christmas


I've scaled back the Christmas decorations this year. We have different holiday plans and the kids won't come over to Seattle as usual.  We'll miss Christmas morning with the little girls, but Amanda and Tom are looking forward to a cozy Christmas at home for a change.  Who can blame them?  They always make a long, tiring drive on Christmas Eve to get here in time for Santa Claus. 

Anyway, the 10+ tubs of decorations are staying up in the attic.  Skipping a year might make us appreciate that stuff all the more next time. So far I only miss my old nativity sets, the funny elves and John's favorite (gaudy) candle holders. Other than that...

Still it seemed sad doing nothing to brighten the house with a few cheerful new things, which of course was a nice excuse to go shopping. 

John kinda sniffed at the fake tabletop tree I found at True Value for $20.  He's spoiled!  A Christmas tree doesn't always have to be a 8-foot messy fir covered with hundreds of ornaments and thousands of lights.  A full days' work for the decorator, I might add.  This one took about 20 minutes to set up and I think it looks pretty on the side table.

Also a new set of battery operated candles from Costco, complete with remote control.  I'll buy a poinsettia next week and call it done.  Hey, I could get used to this.


We had a nice Thanksgiving with delicious food, fine wine and interesting conversation. Thank you Julie for the wonderful meal, not to mention the 40-pound bag of leftovers including the turkey carcass. I couldn't cram all the bones in the pressure cooker, so I simmered them in my biggest pot with every vegetable in the fridge.  Today I have a wonderful broth all ready for turkey noodle soup.



Last night we were all turkied out, so I made a vegetarian pizza and we ate the rest of Mary's kale salad. The weekend of food continues.  I'm going to the gym this morning.  I might not want to be home while John watches the Ohio State-Michigan game.  There could be a lot of swearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment