Thursday, September 1, 2016

Tomato candy


Our Roma tomato plant produced its heart out this year, and I've already picked dozens. Romas aren't as good as cherry tomatoes for plain old mouth-popping, but they're great for cooking and fresh salsa.  Oven-dried is my favorite method, if I have a few hours at home and enough to fill a cookie sheet.

Low and slow is the best, although I was in a bit of a rush yesterday and did these at 300 degrees for about 2 hours. 


They don't get chewy like in a food dehydrator, but most of the water cooks away leaving you with tender skins, some condensed pulp, and wonderful brown caramelized tomato sugar around the edges.

So all those tomatoes made this luscious little pile to work with.  And lucky me, I had fresh basil and a new jar of pitted, dried Greek olives from my Olive Pit shipment.

Putting together this pasta recipe is a snap.  Saute minced garlic and red pepper flakes in a generous amount of olive oil, add the tomatoes and olives, then heat gently while the pasta boils.   Stir in the noodles and top with fresh basil and Parmesan.

I'm not a big carb eater anymore, especially sugar and refined white flour, but I cannot resist a bowl of this.  Made with whole grain pasta, it must be super healthy...

"Pasta doesn't make you fat.
How much pasta you eat makes you fat."
Giada De Laurentis

No comments:

Post a Comment