Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Green desert


The flight to Las Vegas was trouble free yesterday morning, and the Super Shuttle van brought me to Marji's doorstep from the airport. Who can ask for anything more? We had a shrimp and pasta dinner and then watched the "debate."  Enough excitement for one day.

This morning Dad and I took the dogs for a walk around a lake in Floyd Lamb Park. The weather is beautiful and it was a perfect day for a drive in the desert.  Good thing, because somehow we missed the park freeway exit.  I-95 North heads merrily off into the open desert when the Las Vegas sprawl abruptly ends. No interchange or place to make a U-turn for many miles.

I enjoyed the wide open highway, desert scenery and crystalline blue skies, but as we approached the town of Indian Springs it was time to head back, lest we find ourselves in Death Valley for lunch.

(John can tell horror stories of my navigational "mishaps.")

Anyway, we backtracked and found the park on the second pass.  Without resorting to Siri, who doesn't like me much and the feeling is mutual.

The weather is perfect for sitting outside. No too hot, windy or cool. Yesterday afternoon we watched hummingbirds and a big, colorful Monarch butterfly feeding on the orange flowers in Marji's back yard.  Dad said it's the first one he has seen here. Monarchs spend the winter in Mexico, so perhaps they are migrating through.

This is not my picture, but it could be if I wasn't so lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment