Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Chillin' out

I woke up this morning to the nice sound of rain.  It didn't last long but refreshed the desert.  We stayed close to home with our noses in books for most of the day.  I finally finished the interminable "Barkskins" by Annie Proulux, my summer reading project.  Boy, she could give Tolstoy a run for his money.  


In the summer it's too hot to walk Doodles and Molly around the neighborhood, but I took them out for a long one today.  They use one of those double, leg-tangling leases and the naughty Dachshund swaggers in front, pulling like a miniature Rottweiler.  He especially enjoys taunting a fierce guard dog behind a fence. Heaven help him if that animal ever gets his revenge.  Molly is old, and she takes her sweet time "marking" the way every few steps.

We didn't make fast progress, but I enjoy snooping at other people's front yards. There is plenty of desert landscaping (i.e. rocks and concrete) in Las Vegas suburbia, but some people must have their bit of green grass.  And what a blessing folks like my sister planted shade trees when they moved here 20 years ago.


We had gone about 8 blocks and were headed back when Doodles flopped on his back with all four feet in the air. Did I kill him?  Fortunately, Marji told me that's his tactic when the sidewalk heats up.  Yes, he's low to the ground and I was sympathetic, but it wasn't THAT hot. I told him nice try, but no way. He is small, but solid and heavy.  He gave me that resigned look, then walked the rest of the way home.  They are the cutest dogs.  And of course they are not spoiled at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment