Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Where there's a will, there's a way


You can't kill laurel, and the top is shooting up up like crazy, although the "compliant" side will look ugly as sin for several trims. Oh, well.

It's only May 7th, and we've had more rain than we typically get for the entire month.  That's after a record wet March and much-wetter-than-normal February. Seattle has already had over 25 inches of rainfall this year, an amount we don't usually reach until October 28th.  

If it doesn't stop raining, we'll be surrounded by a jungle. There is nothing bamboo likes more than water and heat, and the heat is just around the corner.  The first shoots are appearing 15 feet out in the grass. There is an astonishing amout of vegetation on this lot. Sometimes I sit in my broken down gazebo with a glass of wine and marvel at how much I crammed in over the years.

Now, there's the way to cut the top of that pesky laurel hedge!  I love this photo-- one of my nice followers, Dave Gehring, sent it to me. 

Later today I'm flying to Colorado for a short visit with my parents in Cripple Creek.  Hopefully the snow is over, but Spring has not arrived yet in the Rocky Mountains.  Instead, high mountain views and break from this endless green.  I hope to check in on the blog along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment