Thursday, May 8, 2014

Up on Cripple Creek


Well, Cripple Creek is not quite so lurid these days. Think senior citizens with fanny packs feeding quarters into slot machines.  I arrived safely in town this morning after spending the night near the Colorado Springs airport.  The good news is, I had a non-stop flight from Seattle.  The bad news is, we landed in basically the middle of the night (for me.)

When I finally got to the rental car desk to pick up my reservation, the only car left (so they said) was a Prius.  Are they really so unwanted?  (Sorry, Mark.)  I asked if he had anything else, without many bells and whistles.  Like a cheap Ford-- aggravating but familiar. I wasn't keen on learning about hybrid cars late at night in a desolate prairie lot.

The rental agent said I'd LOVE the Prius: "Just toss the keys on the seat and push a start button.  No ignition switch. Oh yea, remember to push the brake pedal down hard first.  Don't look at the shift handle on console, look at the video display to check what gear you are in." With that advice, I got it going forward, remembered at the last minute to turn on the headlights, and decided I'd figure out reverse when I was fresh in the morning. I was off through the blowing tumbleweeds to the hotel.

It's nice to be here and our folks are doing really well.  Mom was spent today at the house and dad made us an amazing shrimp and pasta lunch.  We looked at some of the old family pictures on my computer and had a nice time.

The weather report. It is required to snow when I come to Cripple Creek, and I was not disappointed.
The temperature dropped fast today, and a mini-blizzard came along.
Just as quickly, it was over.  Springtime in the Rockies at 10,000 feet...

1 comment: