Friday, May 16, 2014

German mango potato salad

I have gone where no German has gone before.  I put fresh mango in the potato salad. My ancestors are looking down, shaking their heads and wondering, what's next with her?

I wouldn't say all Germans are rigid traditionalists (maybe just the old ones)  but we learned from an early age that certain things are done in certain ways, along with many food combination superstitions.  Some things were always eaten together (or not.)  And you definitely wouldn't put untrustworthy tropical fruit in potato salad. My grandmother firmly believed that eating a banana before you went to bed could be fatal. In retrospect, I don't know if all those rules made life easier or harder.

Anyway, I wouldn't call that real German potato salad, but it was pretty good on a hot day.  And last night I made shrimp fajitas in my nifty new grill basket. What a great invention. I love warm weather cooking and eating.

Rain returns to Seattle later today, just in time for the weekend. Have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment