Monday, May 12, 2014

Timing is everything

 Colorado Springs freeway

And this time, I got lucky.  Colorado weather changes with thrilling intensity, and in a couple of days it will probably be 80 degrees in the Springs.  Winter transitions to summer in the blink of an eye in the Rocky Mountains. 

The snow hit early yesterday afternoon, and when our plane left Colorado Springs the black clouds were barreling in over the mountains. Whew.

Right before taking off, we returned to the gate with mechanical problems and then spent two hours in the sweltering plane doing some impromptu "passenger bonding." It is amazing what people will say to total strangers.  Maybe I'm becoming the grandmotherly type because people love to tell me their life stories. My seat mate was a large but harmless Harley biker dude, and he told me I could "grab his leg" anytime I felt scared in the turbulence.  Sweet. 

Anyway, after five hours of sitting in a small regional jet seat, everyone was happy to see big, green Seattle shining in the sun.

 Viburnum

I had a wonderful visit with our folks, but it sure felt good to be home after all that forced aviation confinement.  I took a cup of tea outside and walked around in a daze looking at the flowers, not to mention all the work that has piled up during the weeks of rain.

Bamboo! Taking over the back yard! Well, we have 15 hours of daylight now and summery week of weather ahead, so time to get busy around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment