Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hot junk

If you like poking around antique and second-hand stores, then you know weathered "junk" is really in now.  The other day I saw a perfectly rusted tricycle that had been sitting outside for about 50 years and they wanted $90 for it.  It really had no function except to sit in another person's yard and artistically rust for 50 more years.  And rickety old wood furniture that once would have been chopped up for firewood is designer stuff.

Anyway, this chair with a planter built in the seat was a real find for $8 at the yard sale last week.  I think the only reason another sharp-eyed lady didn't snatch it up was the seat was covered with broken glass (that's the white stuff) which was somewhat of a deterrent, although not to me. I grabbed it and of course the people around me looked jealous. Oh, well. The cutthroat world of yard sales is not for the timid.

So I managed to get it in the back of the Honda with all my other loot without spilling the glass everywhere.  I pulled the crud out and lined the chicken wire with fresh sheet moss and potting soil, then squeezed some carpenter's glue in the wobbly joints to snug it up a bit. Planted with impatiens and lobeila for the summer, I think it looks just about perfect.  Maybe ferns and crocus for next spring if it doesn't fall to pieces over the winter?
Don't even try to put a price tag on that heirloom :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment