Friday, March 9, 2012

Poultry encounters

Keeping backyard chickens is popular in Seattle, and I've been trying to find an estimate of just how many are tucked away on city lots. I don't think anyone really knows because they don't need licenses (yet.) You're allowed a maximum of eight. Not everyone is happy about sharing their block with "loud, smelly chickens" according to an article in the Seattle Times newspaper. I've been tempted to get a coop, but since I'm an old farm girl I know chickens need daily care and are a fair amount of work like any pet. Besides, we can get all the delicious farm eggs we need from Teresa.

I was at the West Seattle nursery last week and this pretty hen was hanging out by the plant stands when I snapped her picture. She has a deluxe two-story sleeping condo right inside the nursery. The cars were whizzing by a few feet away on California Avenue, but I guess even "free range" chickens don't range that far from home.
Speaking of free-ranging, these chickens were right along the edge of the Museum parking lot last Tuesday. The freeway was a block away. They were taking turns having dust baths under some dry bushes. MOHAI is adjacent to one of the nicest neighborhoods in Seattle, so these are not poor, homeless chickens. I approached slowly with my camera so not to scare them, but they just stared back at me like entitled, rich teenagers.
These pedigree chicks were for sale yesterday at the Issaquah Grange, and if they're lucky a life of urban luxury lies ahead. The staff was giving interested buyers detailed information on the costly prospect of raising them.

Times change. Back when we were kids, around Easter we'd come home from the feed store clutching a free chick that had been dyed yellow, pink or blue. We played with them until they got large and eventually ended up on the dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment