Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A blogging anniversary

Writing is a way of talking without being interrupted.
Jules Renard
Journal, 10 April 1895

When I clicked the "publish post" button a year ago and started Feathers and Flowers, I didn't realize how much the blog would change my life. 370 posts later, that scary moment seems long ago. A year of words, words, words. And pictures, too. The blog started out as a way to share family news, and what a year it was with Nova's birth, a wedding, trips and holidays.

It was fun learning the new technology, but soon the blog gave me a voice and a little daily challenge. What to say about ordinary things that happen on ordinary days? What to write on a dull morning in February? So along the way I discovered there's always a few words to say about a beautiful baby, a beloved horse, a nice dinner, music, flowers or poems.

What is the best thing that happened to me today? What will I post tomorrow? I don't leave the house now without my little camera, and I think about the blog all the time. But most of the real writing happens at no-nonsense 5:30 am, when John heads off to work and I sit down with a cup of coffee to edit. An hour flies by. Another hour, if I'm not careful.

I don't know who all of you are, but my little group of dear followers still take a look at Feathers and Flowers. Thanks for sharing our world, and making it all worthwhile. Should I give it another year?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Mom on this great milestone!! You have kept us all entertained and eager for more throughout the year. It truly brightens our days to turn on the computer and find a thoughtful entry or great picture to carry with us through the day! We love you so much!! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete