Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Panettone pudding

I had a hunk of panettone bread still in the freezer from Christmas, so I got out my old Betty Crocker and made a small dish of bread pudding. This is the same old battered book I taught myself to cook with when I was 17.
I never make bread pudding, and Betty C. in 1966 never heard of panettone. Her recipe for plain bread pudding looked like it would feed a farm family of eight, so I cut it in half. There are fancier recipes for panettone bread pudding on the Internet, but I was in a hurry. Anyway, bread pudding is easy-- you just dice up the bread, cover it with some beaten egg, warm milk with sugar and melted butter. Also some cinnamon or nutmeg.
Like a custard or flan, it gets baked for 45 minutes in "water bath."
Not a fancy looking dessert, but tasty if you eat it warm with some vanilla ice cream. I liked the raisins and bits of citron in the panettone. John drizzled some leftover Christmas brandy over the top of his, and said that was even better yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment