Friday, January 22, 2010

Eagle

I know, this photo isn't exactly National Geographic quality, but not bad for aiming a digital at arms length and shooting blindly into the wild blue yonder. The eagle was just a little speck against the sky, but I cropped the image when I got home so you can just make out the white head and tail.

It's always a thrill to spot a bald eagle flying over the city. They are almost always alone. I saw this one at the barn yesterday just as I was getting into the car. Amazing how eagles clear the airspace. Sometimes they're mobbed by a few crows or seagulls at a safe distance, but more often they're wrapped in their own vacuum of silence. Even the small birds near the ground are quiet, and Othello runs for the barn. The sudden silence or some subtle change in the air makes you glance up, and there they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment