Friday, January 8, 2010

Museums and birds

We had a pretty sunrise yesterday in Seattle, and it was a wonderful sight after all the murky gloom. It's pouring rain again, but if you use your imagination there is a touch more light everyday.

I still belong to the Society of American Archivists, and yesterday the local chapter organized a tour at the Museum of History and Industry (where John and I went last weekend). I've been thinking about volunteering there, so I really enjoyed seeing their archive and library down in the basement of the building.

What you see in museums is just the tip of an iceberg, and I always think the most interesting part is behind the scenes. MOHAI has an enormous collection of artifacts and photographs covering local history from the earliest days of Seattle. Everything was donated by individuals and organizations, and the storage area is a wonder to behold! I found out the Museum is moving because of the eventual expansion of the 520 bridge, and it's a shame they have to give up their old home. I'm sure the new museum at Lake Union will be wonderful, but it will only have room for the public displays. All the storage and offices will be in another location, yet to be determined.

It was a nice afternoon, and I had a few minutes to walk out on
Foster Island.

The walk is a real contrast between nature on one side, and the roaring 520 freeway on the other. The trail winds along the shore of Lake Washington connecting small "islands" with bridges and paths. There are lots of platforms perfect for bird watchers.
I saw this "fisherman" right off the trail:
A Great Blue Heron!
There were lots of Mallard pairs:
And a lonely Common Goldeneye:

No comments:

Post a Comment