Thursday, October 19, 2023

False spring

 

After the first fall rains in the Northwest, we often go into a short warm season when the plants and bulbs suddenly wake up, thinking this must be spring. 

Those are Dutch Iris, poking though the compost. They will stay like that through rain and snow without any harm done. In February, things take off again.

It is beautiful stretch of weather for October, typically a wet and dark month. It was 70 yesterday and will get even warmer today. Lovely, with the tree foliage at peak fall color in Seattle. 

I'm looking forward to my outdoor ukulele group this afternoon since I haven't gone for 2 weeks, much less practiced, shame on me.  

I worked at the Cafe yesterday. Frankly, food service work is pretty dull and it takes me back to those bad jobs of my youth! But I enjoy seeing (most) of the regular faces at the Senior Center. I've also gotten good at the job which they appreciate, so there's satisfaction in doing anything well. Maybe I should find a volunteer gig that requires a little more brain power? But this is fine for now, and they don't mind when I take time off. 

Back to our false spring. The "lawn," which is mostly weeds as you can see, at least is green again and popping up with an assortment of interesting fungi.




No comments:

Post a Comment