Friday, December 16, 2022

Well-worn

 

I'm feeling like this cookbook today. My mom gave it to me for my 17th birthday. Yes, that old. That nice lady Betty Crocker taught me how to cook.

OK. Enough already with the Christmas cookies! I was in the kitchen at 6 am making the perennial Boeing favorite: coconut pecan dream bars. Apparently they used to fight over them at the holiday party.

It's a finicky cookie that takes a few tricks you only learn from trial and error. Betty Crocker assumes you already know the basics of cooking, so she doesn't baby her readers with detailed instruction.

I made so many dream bars over the years I took a break last year and probably lost my knack. I doubled the recipe this morning, a dangerous thing to do at the bleary hour. However, John is having lunch with a coworker today, so I thought I'd be nice and send some along for her. 

There. Just out of the oven. They look OK. Now they need to be cut into fussy little squares.

We have a big weekend coming up, with tickets to a fun play at the Seattle Rep tomorrow afternoon, then Symphony on Sunday for some serious music. They're doing Handel's Messiah (talk about perennial holiday favorites.) Sorry to sound like Scrooge, but the “Hallelujah” chorus at the end is the reward for sitting through the long thing. No wonder it gets people so excited.

Crowded indoor places are unnerving once again, with so many people sick with assorted viruses. Somehow we've escaped so far-- knock wood. Masks are in order again, for sure.  

Have a good weekend.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment