Monday, December 26, 2022

Boxing Day

 

Lurching from one weather extreme to the next, this week is starting out mild and wet. That brings a new set of travel problems like mountain avalanches, freezing rain and lowland flooding. 

It's supposed to be windy, in fact I hear it howling in the chimney now and rain beating on the windows. Who knows when we can make it to Twisp again?

I hope you had a nice Christmas. Our morning mess was modest compared to the glorious chaos of past years with 2 kids, 5 or so adults and a dog in our living room. And me, always trying to cook a big ham dinner in my small kitchen at the same time. We sure missed the family. Here they are in Twisp yesterday morning. Looks like plenty of gifts from Santa including a new toy for Nica.

 

John always finds me the most thoughtful presents. For example, an excellent bicycle pump from REI, a cute space heater for the cold bathroom in Twisp, kitchen shears, a nifty charger, concert tickets and so on. And always a slave gift, like the handheld steam cleaner (hum) that soon revealed just how dirty the kitchen floor grout really is. Ignorance was probably bliss on that one.

He is more difficult to buy for since his retirement, because now he has time to shop online for exactly what he wants. But I got him some sweaters from LL Bean, food carving tools, calendar, little things like that. I guess my daily gift to John is excellent food, and we had a nice turkey dinner last night. Unfortunately, I dropped a razor sharp knife and it nicked the top of my hand-- a weird and painful way to cut yourself. That put me in a pretty glum mood for the rest of the night.

So the year is quickly wrapping up. The days after Christmas feel suspended in time-- the old year hanging on and the new just around the corner. And always those thoughts of what joys and sadness it might bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment