Monday, October 24, 2022

Lots of pixels

 

I snapped this picture from a dark corner of the living room with sunset glare in the window, the worst possible lighting for photography. No problem for the new iPhone pro 14 camera with "50 mega-pixels." Pretty amazing. It also has a long, incredibly sharp optical zoom lens. Watch out, turkeys and deer, I'm coming for you.

So. I haven't changed my Google profile picture since I started the blog in 2009. In the interest of full disclosure, thought I'd update it with a new up-close selfie. Ack! I dislike taking selfies and this cruel camera shows every line, wrinkle, sag and enlarged pore in awful detail. Of course, I could have edited it, but that seemed a bit dishonest besides I didn't want to stare at the picture. Vanity is just a waste of time. I've moved on.

The big Silver Maple across the street was filled with noisy birds while I was working outside. Nothing says fall like the sound of a flock of starlings, all talking at once.

I brought the jade plants inside for the winter and cleaned up the  porch. Now that we have an outlet, I might put mini lights on that little potted tree for fall and Christmas. Something cheerful for the dog walkers when they peer in the gate.

The entire week ahead looks rainy so good thing I got outside yesterday to work. My garden bed clean up is more slap-dash every year. Honestly, cutting back all that vegetation back and stuffing it in the yard waste bin is getting to be a chore.

There's a new guy coming tomorrow with a load of compost mulch from Burien Bark and Soil. The compost Mr. Nguyen spread last year came from Cedar Grove, Seattle's huge municipal facility. Everything in our yard waste bins goes there, from pizza boxes and dirty paper towels to meat scraps and other stinking garbage. 

People (myself included) are careless with things like those sticky fruit and vegetable labels, so Cedar Grove compost littered with small bits of trash that eventually works up to the surface. Burien Bark is supposedly more particular about what they take in and eventually sell. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment