Tuesday, October 4, 2022

It's in the wash

 

This is a fair-sized house for two people, but there isn't a square yard to spare. We use every room. Unless we have company, John has the basement for his hobbies which isn't ideal but he doesn't complain. Of course, I'm always walking back and forth through "his space" to the laundry room or pantry, or hanging undies up to dry in the bathroom where he's sharpening knives. 

Anyway, to make a long story short, I've wanted to try watercolor painting for a long time but the main deterrent was finding a place for a new hobby.  My oak desk is too nice for messy painting, but I had a old wicker dressing table only used to park my purse. I cleared it off and made a little art area. 

First step is learning how to do washes. There are hundreds of YouTube instruction videos, many of them quite good. A wash is just a thin layer of color(s) and the starting point for almost all watercolor paintings. It's a much more forgiving medium than I imagined and the results are satisfying, even if you don't know what you're doing.  

We got our updated Covid boosters at Safeway yesterday good for us. Instead of the harried pharmacist rushing out to stick in needle in your  arm, they had an outsourced  "shot giver" all set up in the room and she was very skillful. A big improvement over the old grocery store pharmacy system. I felt like crap in the middle of the night, my head and every muscle hurt. Maybe you're supposed to suffer through the side effects, but I took an Advil and feel better this morning, just tired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment