Monday, June 21, 2021

Fried brain

 


As the heat wave drags on I'm becoming increasingly dull. I wake up early as usual (typically my brain's best time of day) without the slightest spark of creative energy. So I go sit outisde on the 90 degree patio with coffee for a few minutes and watch the scorching sun rise again.

This is a fact. Scientific studies show that hot temps slow down your ability to process information and perform simple tasks. "Bad" proteins and ions can build up in the brain, causing an inflammatory response that affects normal functioning. So there. A medical excuse for not blogging. 

Despite the heat wave this has been a wonderful visit and praise the Lord for superb air conditioning. Marji's new HVAC system is set at 78 and comes on every few minutes around the clock. That sounds warm but we have been quite comfortable, albeit, stuck inside.

Places like Phoenix and Las Vegas have become "urban heat islands," which is scary as world temperatures keep getting hotter. What will become of humans? Extreme heat affects both the body and the mind. 

Speaking of Phoenix, I read an awful article in the NYT this morning about the many people who must work outside or are homeless, trying to survive. I certainly have no right complaining about staying inside a lovely cool house.

Back to Seattle tomorrow morning. 

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost


No comments:

Post a Comment