Monday, May 24, 2021

Why go out?

 

Margherita Pizza from the home oven. 

I get annoyed with myself when I get sucked into those Internet click bait lists. Like "The Ten Menu Items You Should Never Order in an Italian Restaurant." A waste of time!  But I remember Margherita pizza was on that list. Not because it's unhealthy, but in terms of value, you should go with the rich sauces, lasagna, or slow cooked meats like osso buco.  

Margherita pizza is a restaurant money machine: the little blob of white dough, smear of red sauce, a few tomatoes and a stingy portion of fresh mozzarella. A few basil leaves scattered on top and people are happy to shell out $20. At least in Seattle.

It's simple and delicious though, especially when made generously at home with decent tomatoes. I bought a little bag of pear tomatoes at Traders Joes, and a package of fresh sliced mozzarella. 

I'm a fan of TJ refrigerated pizza dough (plain or garlic herb) for only $1.29. Homemade pizza dough isn't worth the time and effort for one small pizza. I also picked up a beautiful basil plant for $3.99 and the pizza made itself. Well, sorta. 

It was a depressing weekend, not because anything bad happened, but the oppressive layer of cold grey marine clouds. This morning it is finally raining. Yea. Despite all the cloudy weather, we've had a too dry spring.

And what's this?  Yes, a corned beef dinner made with a brisket I had stashed in the freezer since St. Paddy's Day. Perfect thing to cook on an Sunday afternoon that felt more like March than May.

No comments:

Post a Comment