Monday, May 10, 2021

Are you havin' any fun?

I've never bought myself an impractical-crazy-fun-kind-of-mechanical-toy. That is, until Levy the Electric Scooter arrived on the front porch this weekend.

"Scooty" is pretty slick. He weighs 27 pounds and folds down into a neat package for storage. You can remove the lithium battery, a nice feature for inside charging. He goes about 10 miles on a charge. A LONG way to travel on a scooter.

I know, I know.  I'm a senior citizen, for heavens sake! So what brought this on? Well, pandemic boredom. And all those tempting rental scooters as I walk my daily loop, thinking wouldn't that be fun? 

And it is fun, and easier to ride than you might think. In beginners mode setting, he goes up to 6 mph, which feels plenty fast for someone who typically plods along under 3 mph.  (Yes, I'll be careful and it's unlikely I'll ever graduate from beginners mode.)

You can't ride scooters on the sidewalks in Seattle, and of course I'm not going to ride on the streets. The next order of business is finding a path where I can tootle along in peace in the right lane, without annoying too many bikers.  Maybe Alki Beach on an early summer morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment