Monday, August 3, 2020

This and that


Too bad these grapes don't taste as good as they look. I planted the vine in 1981-- White Concords, I think. So long ago.

The sweet, genetically-engineered table grapes from the store taste nothing like the old varieties. I guess we're spoiled. As kids, we gobbled up handfuls of purple Concords on the farm, popping off the skin and spitting out the seeds. They made the most delicious jelly.


The raccoons can have the grapes, but here's one vegetable (technically fruit) I couldn't live without. We're getting a big crop of tomatoes from just two plants.

This tomato clown was too cute to eat, so I sent his picture to Nova and Maya. Oh, how I miss them running around the yard, picking flowers and making their fairy gardens. 

The consolation of good food. On Saturday, sea scallops with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes and garlic...
And pizza on Friday. No, not pepperoni, it's a vegetarian pie with our own sliced Roma tomatoes caramelized on top.
It's hard to beat a homegrown tomato salad with red peppers and onions. 

Well, the start of another summer week, and frankly, not much to look forward to. I have two routine appointments, although nothing feels routine these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment