Wednesday, May 29, 2019

What a month


May draws to a close.  I was looking back at all the photos, and what a busy month.  Our California vacation, and now this nice time in Las Vegas.

After a long spell of chilly weather, summer has arrived, at least according to Nova and Maya's popsicles.  And it's finally heating up in the desert southwest.  Almost 90 here tomorrow, with triple digits by next week.


After Marji left for Utah this morning in her RV, this guy was glued to the window. Just for a bit. Sorry, sister, he didn't sulk for long.

Hey, life goes on.  Other laps are warm and other hands fill the food bowl.  I'll have a bed mate tonight.  He's not all that picky.


Dad and I had a busy, active day.  A trip to Costco, and then a stop at the chain "Seafood City," with an eye popping variety of fish, pork parts, fluids (don't ask) and plentiful Filipino groceries. I think he expected something more like the Pike Place Market. Nope.

And in the desert? Just window shopping.
For dinner, brave cook, I attempted the most iconic Pennsylvania Dutch family recipe: dandelion salad with hot bacon dressing, made by Grammy Bleam. And Mom.

Yes, you can buy dandelion "greens" here at an organic produce store called "Sprouts."  Not the same thing as the gritty hand-dug, bitter weeds from a farm yard, but close as you'll get. It's Vegas, Baby.


I brought along this photo of the recipe Mom gave me years ago, copied on the fly leaf of my 1967 Betty Crocker cookbook. Back when I still had nice handwriting.

Pretty simple.  Minced bacon, equal amounts of vinegar and sugar.  

An egg to bind it... 


"Between memory and reality there are awkward discrepancies."

 But still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment