Monday, May 20, 2019

Garden envy


 Hydrangea Double Delights Stargazer

"Always try to grow in your garden some plant or plants out of the ordinary, something your neighbors never attempted. For you can receive no greater flattery than to have a gardener of equal intelligence stand before your plant and ask,
What is that?"

- Richardson Wright


John was down at our pricey West Seattle Nursery this weekend looking for a gift for a friend, and he bought me this flashy hybrid hydrangea called Stargazer.  I'm really into hydrangeas lately, so that was nice of him, especially because I'm too cheap to buy such fancy plants.

 
I found the perfect little empty spot (there aren't many left) in half shade, half sun.  Hydrangeas are tough, long-lived shrubs once established. The garden is slowly but surely transitioning from high maintenance annuals to hardy blooming shrubs and perrenials. With climate change, you have to pick your battles.

Of the masses of vegetation growing in this yard now, only a single hydrangea, the holly tree and fig tree were here in 1980 when we moved in. Oh yea, and the indestructible laurel hedge. I'm responsible for the rest of the hodge podge, which is kind of mind-blowing when you look around.

The fig tree, ugly as sin all winter, is leafing out again. It's a useless tree, producing nothing but masses of green rotting figs in the fall, but it does make a shade canopy all summer. The yard is so much hotter than it used to be.


Well, a busy week coming up for me.  The Ukes practice today, then tomorrow we entertain at the Senior Center Mother's Day luncheon. Wednesday I go back to work at the thrift store. Will I be demoted to donations intake?

On Thursday, we plan ride before the mad ferry rush to Vashon Island on Memorial Day weekend.  And then next week, I'm off to Las Vegas for a few days.  Dad is doing much better, and I'm really looking forward to the visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment