Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Embracing the senior


West Seattle Senior Center
Stop n' Shop Thrift Store

I've noticed on receipts lately that I get a senior discount without being asked.  Hum. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.  But it's a little disconcerting that my age dominates first impressions now.  It's funny, because I don't feel much different than I did 20 years ago. Then I catch a passing glimpse of my white-haired reflection.

In America, we have so many cruel stereotypes about old people: they're slow, feeble, unattractive, easily confused. And if you're a woman, most of the time you're just invisible. The joke goes that an old lady can go into a store and shop lift, since no one notices she's there.

In France, I was always addressed as "Madame." It was either a kindly "Madame" or a snooty "Madame," but at least it sounded respectful and dignified.  The American equivalent is "Ma'am," which I seldom hear.  People sometimes call me "Miss" and I don't take offense, because they're trying to being polite.

But if you really want to tick me off, call me "young lady." This is usually younger men at cash registers who think they're being cute. I didn't like being called a "young lady" when I was 10, and I really don't like it now.  It is so condescending, might as well just come out and say old bag.

My goodness, how cranky I sound! Another characteristic of old age. It's funny though, the Senior Center is one place I don't feel old.  Maybe because everyone is and no one cares or notices. It's also a bustling, energetic place with all kinds of activities, like my weekly ukulele group.

I've been volunteering on and off at the Southwest Seattle Historical Society for the last couple of years. After I gave them some recommendations for records management, I decided it's up to their board to go forward (or not) with the plan.

I applied for a new volunteer gig at the West Seattle Senior Center, and they seem happy to have me.   There might be some archives work later, but I'm starting as cashier at the Stop n' Shop Thrift Store.  It's a busy and social place, I browse there all the time, so I'm looking forward to it. Today I'll be using a cash register, for the first time since I was a waitress back in the 1970's.  I'll let you know how fast the senior brain can learn something totally new.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment