Monday, August 27, 2018

This is just to say...



The plum tree delivered in the end, despite the aphid infestation and drought.  Our neighbor also shared some from their tree, so I had plenty to can 14 jars chutney and make the annual plum kuchen. I'm a lazy baker, and this is the simplest cake batter-- nothing but butter, flour, sugar, eggs and flavoring beat up all at once and spread in a tart pan.  You could top it (as the Germans do) with just about any kind of fresh fruit in season. I've sure I've posted the recipe on the blog in the past.  Ditto my favorite plum poem, that has apparently now become a Twitter meme.


 This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
 

William Carlos Williams
1883-1963
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment