Thursday, July 26, 2018

Baby, it's hot outside


We don't have Hobby Lobby in Seattle, so I like going to the store near Marji's house when I'm here. Of course I don't really need anything in that vast, bewildering place, but recreational shopping is one of my little weaknesses. I browse around in their art supply section and look for craft projects for the kids. So I stopped by yesterday, and walked right in from scorching July heat to a full on, air-conditioned Christmas! 


Honestly, the sheer weirdness of that deserted, freezing store brought on an anxiety attack.  I had to go to the Starbucks next door for a Frappacino to settle my nerves. 

We've been mostly sheltering in place during this heat advisory.  It was 114 degrees yesterday, today the same, and so on. To put 114 in perspective, the record high EVER recorded for Las Vegas is 117.   Palm Springs and Death Valley (both over 120) broke records this week.  The overnight low last night was 90, another record high/low. What can you say?

Poet Robert Frost gets the last word:

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.




Dinner was good last night, even with relatively tasteless supermarket tomatoes.

The old recipe said smash up a couple of the fried tomato slices right in the sauce, and that gave it a bit more flavor. Along with the red chili flakes. I remember Mom and Grammy making a rather pasty white sauce. Anyway, with corn on the cob it made a nice vegetarian dinner for a hot night. 


Along with Hobby Lobby, what's a trip to Vegas without Pollo Loco?  So I think I'll take a break from cooking tonight and run over there for take-out grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment