Tuesday, March 13, 2018

National Jet Lag Day

"Sleep and His Half Brother Death"
John Waterhouse
1874

Yes, Daylight Savings Time. I don't know about you, but I feel like death warmed over this morning.  I woke up with my half brother.  This is especially cruel and unusual for those of us who have to get up early anyway, and could care less about an extra hour of daylight tacked on to long summer days.

A recent poll showed that 67 percent favor keeping their clocks on the same time year 'round and would vote for a law requiring it. Some states are doing this piecemeal, but national legislation would be better.  Well, our politicians are much too busy for that sort of thing.


Life goes on. The bark man cometh, and he did a neat job covering the areas around the house where nothing grows.  That would have been a back-breaking job for me, something I would have tackled in my youth. I have enough heavy outdoor work as it is, without hauling in bags of bark.

I'm happy to pay for help, but the problem here is finding reliable people who stay in business.  Manuel left his little flier on the porch last week, I called him, he called back, and now the job is already done. That is remarkably fast by Seattle standards.  With most yard services, I'd still be playing phone tag.  But with my luck, poor Manuel will probably get deported.  No wait-- I think Seattle is still a sanctuary city.

See that open basement window? Yesterday was a one day wonder, the temperature hit a record 70 degrees with a balmy southern breeze.  Honestly, it felt like walking around in heaven. Back to normal (rain) today.


No comments:

Post a Comment