Friday, March 16, 2018

Just Another Diamond Day


I think we've finally turned a corner on the weather.  It seems like forever since I've been over to ride Moe, with rain, snow, wind and freezing temps most of February.  Now we are finally back in the 50's where we should be this time of year, and yesterday was a brilliant sunny day.  My riding friend Marianne is away in Palm Springs, so I decided to go to Vashon Island by myself. 

I missed the 9:30 boat at Fauntleroy by about 10 seconds. Drat. Honestly, I think those dock workers are secretly smirking when they snap the gate down in front of your nose. But no worries, I didn't have long to wait for the next boat, and being first in line, I had a front row view for the quick crossing.


Moe was glad to see me.  Ha! Who am I kidding?  It was the bag of carrots.  Still, he is a good natured old soul. His winter blanket was off, and he took full advantage of it for a big roll in the spring mud.  So I had a filthy horse to groom up.

Moe says summer is coming, in case you have any doubts. I brushed off about a bushel of chestnut hair and barely made a dent in his winter coat.  We rode out far enough to take in a spectacular view of Mt. Rainier.



You know how certain songs stick in your head? I ran across the English singer-songwriter Vashti Bunyan on my iTunes subscription. I don't remember her from the 1970's, probably because her debut album Just Another Diamond Day was a flop. She was so discouraged she abandoned her musical career and spent the next 30 years raising a family on a farm in Scotland.  Then a few years ago, while surfing the web, she discovered her music was still "out there" and she had developed a cult following.  What a great story.



No comments:

Post a Comment