Thursday, March 29, 2018

Absolute beginner



Noun: Perspective

Definition:


"The art of drawing solid objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other when viewed from a particular point. A perspective drawing."

"A particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view."

"True understanding of the relative importance of things; a sense of proportion."


Keeping good perspective is hard in drawing and also hard in life, as one of my nice followers commented recently.

I bought a beginner's book on perspective at the wonderful (and dangerous) Daniel Smith art supply. Intellectually at least, I get the idea of the horizon vanishing point, but a few pages in and I was over my head. Once you get past single point perspective, it's a very complicated concept.  But there are lots of exercises and explanations, so I'm sticking with the book.

Artists enjoy fiddling around with their tools, gadgets and supplies. While you're sharpening and rearranging your pencils, you don't actually have to create something.  Ha!  The book had a list of recommended tools. Oh, boy! I found an "Essential Math/Geometry" set on eBay for only $12.  Since math and geometry were never my strong suit, I now have a bunch of fun looking tools I don't know how to use.  But it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.


Hey, I'm ready when creativity strikes.  Note to self: castles are hard, dogs and cats even harder.


No comments:

Post a Comment