Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hot weather weekend

In Seattle, even the crows are hot weather weenies.  This poor guy was standing in the yard panting yesterday afternoon-- it was all of 83 degrees. 

Marji and Dad will be amused to hear we have an "excessive heat warning" in Seattle this weekend.    Our high temperature might reach the daily low they've had all week in Las Vegas.

I love warm weather.  It doesn't happen enough to make it worth all the complaining. Most of the year we're shivering under a thick marine overcast.  I woke up around 3:30,  and the sky was already getting light.

Yes, it will be hot later, but it's a spectacular cool morning without a cloud in the sky.  I watched some of my wildlife friends and a neighbor's cat check out the new front yard.  With the laurel hedge diminished, noses seemed a bit out of joint.  The birds are quiet, and that I am sorry about.  But you can't kill laurel, and it will green out again in a few months.

Seattleittes are just waking up and thinking of ways to keep the water rescue people busy. The rivers, lakes, and of course, Puget Sound, are freezing cold, but that doesn't stop anyone from going out on treacherous water in flimsy inner tubes.


Alki Beach will look like Coney Island in August. We saw on the news that the police were setting up crowd control down there today.  If you feel like jumping in Puget Sound, expect to park about a mile from the water. 

Remembering Summer

Being too warm the old lady said to me
is better than being too cold I think now
in between is the best because you never
give it a thought but it goes by too fast
I remember the winter how cold it got
I could never get warm wherever I was
but I don’t remember the summer heat like that
only the long days the breathing of the trees
the evenings with the hens still talking in the lane
and the light getting longer in the valley
the sound of a bell from down there somewhere
I can sit here now still listening to it.

W.S. Merwin 

No comments:

Post a Comment