Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Dinner in a jiffy

I made this pretty amazing meal in the pressure cooker yesterday.  Black beans in a seasoned sauce (modified recipe) and Mexican-style pork chops (my invention.)  After the first taste John said, "Can you do this again?"

Ha! What does he think I am, some sort of production line artist?

I got sucked down a hole yesterday looking at pictures of vintage TV dinners on Pinterest.  Good grief.  But if you know Pinterest, you'll understand. It's one of those Internet "diversions" you turn to when you get bored. And before you know it, you've wasted another hour of your life that could have been spent practicing the ukulele or cleaning the bathtub.

Anyway, maybe that inspired me to make a nice meal from scratch, although those lurid pictures sure took me back to when TV dinners were a big treat at our house. We loved them.  In a hungry family of five, there was something about having your own private tray of food that wasn't divided up and shared. And everything had it's own compartment.   Best of all, sometimes you got to pick out the one you wanted at the grocery store.

Of course these look pretty unappetizing now.  And look how small the portions are.  Most Americans eat much more for dinner these days.  I know we did last night!


My favorite ad. Why fuss over company?

No comments:

Post a Comment