Friday, February 20, 2015

Dear hearts and gentle people


I've been around the block, but it still amazes me just how far air travel can take you in a few hours-- for instance,  a non-stop flight from Colorado Springs to Seattle, thanks to John and 80,000 or so of his coworkers at Boeing Commercial Airplane Company.

Anyway,  I was sure happy to see him waiting for me this morning in the airport.  Baggage claim?  Who needs it?  This "going light" is a good thing. I had an excellent, safe trip,  and I'm already back where the cherry trees and daffodils are blooming.

Visiting our 90-year-old parents in Cripple Creek is special and much too infrequent. But this time, I was able to help them out with a few practical matters (with some long distance support from my sister and brother) so it felt good to be busy and useful-- the best cure ever invented for fret and worry. The time flew by and I came home with a tiny sense of accomplishment.  But there is never enough time to say all the things we want to say.

Health news first.  As you know, Dad was hospitalized last week with serious complications from a respiratory virus.  After some excellent care at the regional hospital in Woodland Park, he was released yesterday to the Cripple Creek Care Center for rehabilitation.  


He's getting settled in, and his physical therapist already commented on his impressive strength and determination.  To give you some idea, Dad walks on a treadmill daily, uses computers, reads books and newspapers and has lived independently his entire life.  But...now he has to accept some temporary help, and he's doing that with his typical grace and courage.  We admire him so much.

The Cripple Creek Care Center is a part of their community.  Let's be honest-- no one wants (or plans!) to live in a nursing home, but they've taken good care of mom for several years now. This is a place that couldn't exist in a big city like Seattle-- a rare mix of the professional and homey. Think resident cats, and an old Golden who comes to work with a nurse each day.

We know he will get good care and make excellent progress. And mom will keep a close eye on him :-) 
It wouldn't be a trip to Colorado without weather news. Here's the view from the house yesterday morning.  Spectacular, brilliant blue sky like only a Colorado winter can be.

I'm usually unlucky with my travel timing back there, but this time it snowed the day before I came and happy to report,  it is snowing like h--- right now.
I'm glad the folks are tucked in safe and sound for the weekend.

There wasn't much down time this trip, but I took my coffee out on the deck each morning and soaked in the high altitude, intense sun.  I watched the thermometer rise like magic over my left shoulder. In the shade still below freezing, but in the sun?  Yes, almost 100 degrees.  What lovely, lovely world of contrasts we live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment