Thursday, December 12, 2013

WInter fairy house

I'm a sucker for garden supply mail order catalogs (from look of our crammed mail box, they know this) so when Plow and Hearth had a new "blue thatched cottage" on their "fairy garden accessories" page it was a done deal.  Of course I'm not the only one in this house who likes to buy stuff on-line!  We should put orange cones in front of the house for the UPS truck.

Well, I don't know anyone who actually needs a new fairy house, but that's what keeps the economy going. I do know a couple of little girls who will go bonkers over it. As you can see, Santa is already on the chimney. And it cheers me up going in and out the back door. 

I was home all day yesterday making cookies (nut balls, pecan shortbread, gingerbread stars, snicker-doodles) and only went out once to Bartell's Drugstore in order buy some smelly remedies for my sore back.  How did I hurt my back?  Was I doing something fun and interesting like riding a horse?  No, I have no idea how or when it happened, which seems to indicate a certain lack of mindfulness while exercising.

The 30-something girl trainer at my new gym said I was "lazy in my old set routine" and gave me a lecture about "setting personal goals."  She said at my current wimpy level of physical effort, the best I could hope for was a "plateau."  I told her that a "plateau" would be just fabulous, if in 20 years I can still do what I do now. That fell on deaf ears.  Anyway, perhaps she planted a subliminal that made me try a little harder than I should on the weight machines.

WebMD is a website I look at sometimes but dislike, because they usually just recommend drugs, expensive tests and stressful doctor visits. In this case, they were not sympathetic at all about a simple low backache.  They did not tell you to rush to the doctor. Everyone gets backaches. As long as you can still walk, just go about your business for a week or so and it will probably get better by itself.  I haven't hit the Bengay or the Advil this morning, so WebMD might be right on this one.
David Woodlock
Old Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment