Monday, December 30, 2013

A stranger in a strange land


Apologies to my little group of followers who check in on the blog daily and have been greeted by a stale piece of fruitcake. This old dog is trying to learn new tricks and I haven't been able to write.

You know how it feels to land in a foreign country where all the familiar things you take for granted have changed? I suppose your zest for adventure and new learning depends on how weary you are when you step off the airplane. (I'm post-Christmas beat.) People are suddenly speaking a language I don't understand and doing familiar things in different, perplexing ways.  What was once second nature is suddenly baffling and complex.

To make it worse, the new computer is talking to my iPhone behind my back in a frightening way.

And so it is, traveling to Apple World after 30 years in Windows Land.  Like people, computers are all the same under the skin--they just wear different clothing and speak different languages. For example, Restore the files you accidentally deleted is now called Put Back in Mac talk. Causing moments of panic. And so on, over and over again.  

After my photos were transferred to the new machine, I was surprised to see 11,000+ images stored on Viao going back almost 10 years.  All of them organized in lazy librarian default according to the month and year they were taken. Not a horrible arrangement, but pitiful now considering the astonishing tools available on IPhoto and Photoshop. (That is a project for another day.)

It's all very perplexing. I just want things to stay the same (don't we all?) and upload pictures into my blog without writing down item numbers, dragging things into new temporary folders and straining my eyes staring at miniscule thumbnails.  Wait!  That sounds like one of those sad Windows workarounds! I need some help from a Genius, and not the one who lives in this house.   My first "Getting to Know Your Mac" lesson is tomorrow at the Apple Store.

There's a big adventure ahead in a dazzling new land. But for now, this tired blogger is signing off on the old Hewlett Packard.

No comments:

Post a Comment