Friday, December 27, 2013

National Fruitcake Day


National Fruitcake Day celebrates the rock hard, fruit filled holiday cake. While fruitcake was popular in the 40's and 50's, we are not sure if anyone has ever eaten this weighty, gooey, sugar laden cake.  Scientists have been unable to penetrate deeply into a fruitcake, and therefore, have failed to uncover its exact composition. Its density has also hampered their ability to use carbon dating to identify the age of a fruitcake. Unconfirmed rumors suggest that some fruitcake are hundreds of years old.  From Weird and Wacky Holiday Calendar


I once made a pretty good brandy-soaked fruitcake, or maybe I'm just fooling myself because I don't remember anyone actually eating it except me and an old English friend who called it "Christmas cake" and loved it.  Fruitcake is much more popular in Great Britain. 

When my brother went on wilderness adventures in the 1980's he would take some of my fruitcake along in his backpack as emergency "survival" food.  That was before energy bars had been invented. My grandmother who never threw anything out kept hers in the refrigerator for years.   Despite all the bad jokes, I still think a thin slice of well-made fruitcake is pretty good with a cup of tea.  Anyway-- enough about fruitcake! If you have one, December 27th is the official day to pass it along.

No comments:

Post a Comment