Friday, December 13, 2013

The devil's cookie

Date Nut Balls

If you like dates, you will love this cookie.  My mother-in-law sent me the recipe back in 1999 and I was grateful because it isn't in any of my old cookbooks.  I adore Wilda, so my nickname for the cookie has nothing to do with the fact that it's her recipe. Ha ha!

I call it the devil's cookie only because the last step requires forming the sticky, hot-out-of-the-oven dough into balls.

Date Nut Cookies

3/4 c. flour

1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. fresh dates, diced
1 c. chopped walnuts
2 eggs, well-beaten

Mix the dry ingredients, then add dates, nuts and eggs.  Stir until blended then spread into a greased 11x7 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. 

Don't overbake-- the dough must be soft and scalding hot to form the balls.  It is very sticky and I use a spoon and make the balls fairly small.  These are sweet as candy.

Finally, roll the warm balls in powdered sugar.  A Christmas treat for date and walnut lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment