Monday, October 14, 2013

Over the weekend

The Jim D'Ville Method
I packed up my instrument, put on a smiling face and went to the Seattle Ukulele Player's Association (SUPA) meeting for the first time. I had plenty of company. Who would have thought?  Not everyone in Seattle watches the Seahawks on Sunday afternoon. 

About a hundred ukulele players of all ages, shapes, sizes and abilities meet once a month in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood for fellowship and a song circle.  Jim D'Ville gave a group lesson the first hour-- he's a funny and talented guy who travels the county in an Airstream trailer, teaching people how to play without music, paper notes or even calling out the names of chords.  I laughed more than I learned, but it was great entertainment.

All the SUPA regulars brought their folding music stands and carried large notebooks full of sheet music printed from the SUPA website. Everyone was friendly, and I shared with a nice lady about my age named Mary, claiming to be a beginner.  She said she went to "Camp Ukulele" this summer (I tried to picture that place) and said she learned quite a bit there. Something to consider next year?

When I took my uke out of its cheap case, there were some envious gasps nearby and I heard a comment "that's a really nice one for a beginner."  Well, what could I say?  I didn't know if I should be proud or embarrassed. You can certainly pay much more than I did for a ukulele!  Just go to Dusty Strings!   But other musicians seem to notice these things, and mine has eye-catching, mother-of-pearl trim. I was a bit nervous and accidentally banged it on the edge of a chair, which raised a few eyebrows.

Then the song circle got started.  One hundred vigorously strumming ukuleles, accompanied by uninhibited loud singing, makes a mighty noise.  The strong carry the weak, shall we say.  Those of us struggling with new chords simply blended with the din.  It had the odd effect of making you feel like you were playing well while pitifully stumbling along. I now see why strumming circles are so popular! 

When Amanda was about 12, I decided she should have an "opportunity" I missed. She should play an instrument. Every parent learns the hard way that this doesn't usually work.  She hated her flute of course, and refused to practice.  Finally, the time came for a big concert.  How proud I was seeing her on the stage in an orchestra.  Then afterwards, she told me she was "just pretending" to play,  and no one even noticed.  Including her clueless mother.

Well, yesterday in the middle of a tricky "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (how could such a simple song be so diabolical?) I knew exactly how she felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment