Friday, October 11, 2013

Northwest sunsets

Chambers Bay sunset
Color in sky, Prussian blue
Scarlet fleece changes hue
Crimson ball sinks from view
Wear your love like heaven.



Those are lines from an old Donovan song called "Wear Your Love like Heaven."  I loved that song in 1967, but I liked it even better later when I realized what Donovan was singing about. The song mentions wonderful color names like Prussian blue, scarlet, crimson, Havana lake, rose carmethene and Alizarin crimson.

Remember how hard it once was, trying to figure out pop song lyrics?  Listening to the same records over and over gave teenagers something to do. Now a few taps on the computer and "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" becomes your phone ring tone.

Anyway, speaking of beautiful sunsets, the sun goes down around 6:30 now.  I used to have a dandy little view of the Olympic Mountains from the kitchen sink while I cleaned up supper.  That is, until someone built a big, gray box of a house right across the street from us.  Not that I'm bitter!  But now we have to take out the recycling to get a peek of the mountains from the sidewalk. 

Here's some Northwest sunset photographs from Scott Sistek's KOMO TV weather blog. Most of these were sent in by viewers, some from YouNews contributors, so I'm sorry I can't give exact credit for the fine photography.  (If you see your photo here, let me know.) These and many others are posted on Scott's excellent weather blog.

View from the Space Needle
Kalaoch Lodge sunset
Mt. Ranier lenticular cloud, Jim George, Puyallup
Olympics and Elliot Bay
Olympic Mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment