Tuesday, April 30, 2013

You are what you eat

There are some things you don't admit to liking, at least not in sophisticated company.  Like Spam and scrambled eggs...a breakfast treat from the 1950's. I can still taste those ultra-salty fried cubes of "meat" mixed in with the soft eggs!

"Krab" salad
Here in the land of fresh seafood, most people put their noses up at imitation crab meat.  Still, it shows up everywhere in all sorts of things, like expensive California sushi rolls.  OK, I admit-- I'll buy a package occasionally and make a low-cal salad for lunch when I'm home alone. (John wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.)

A food blog described the product as "the pulverized, rubbery remains of a bunch of random fish for the cheap and not particularly discerning amongst us."

Yum.  But surely my crows would eat it?  So I threw a few pieces out on the grass, and by 5 o'clock it was still there, without so much as a peck mark.  They looked, they left. They wouldn't even taste it!

Which gave me pause to think.  Crows are wise. Eating things that carrion birds put their noses up at is probably not a good idea. But Spam is probably a different story altogether.


No comments:

Post a Comment