Thursday, October 11, 2012

The best view

Our amazing run of beautiful weather is finally drawing to a close, and the long dry spell ends with a bang this weekend. Rain moves in to Seattle by Friday, and the North Cascades and Olympic mountains could have several inches on Saturday.  Oh, boy.  Perfect timing for our trip over the mountains this weekend.

But there was time yesterday to squeeze in a trail ride before mud returns to Rosebud River Ranch.  There can't be a more beautiful sight than dry autumn woods from the back of a horse.

Well, horseback photography is a challenge, and each time I stopped to click a picture, Spanky glanced back and looked at me like I was crazy. He was a good sport.
Over the years I rode this trail so many times that I know every stone and stump, but there's always something new and interesting. The loop winds for about a mile through a wetland, down a creek and under old mossy trees back to the barn. A little bit of everything in a short distance.
It's a favorite ride in all seasons. Just for the challenge, I once did it bareback on Sizzle, just once. I've never been there without feeling gratitude for this bit of precious nature so close to the city.  Even when the rain is dripping down my neck it's the perfect place for a few minutes of solitude, and of course a nice ride with a good friend, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment