Saturday, April 9, 2011

Spring chores

Yesterday we finally had a glorious sunny day in Seattle and I didn't waste time inside. I worked in the garden, scrubbed three slimy birdbaths and a fountain with Clorox and cleaned the gas grill (not too bad.) To celebrate we had a nice hunk of fresh Steel-head salmon for dinner:


It's early and chilly, but I planted my geraniums from Costco anyway. We shouldn't have more frost and at least they're out of a dark warehouse. At RiteAid yesterday I was happy to find those Wave Petunias that can turn a petunia hater into a petunia lover. Finally after all that cleaning and planting, I hosed the deck down and it was dry in minutes. It's amazing how intense the April sun is at our latitude-- when the clouds lift.
Look at all the green tulip buds, ready to burst open. The peonies are also beautiful from the moment the bright red leaves push out of the ground.
You have to marvel at such a vigorous plant that grows for decades in exactly the same spot. As I get older I have more appreciation for the saying: bloom where you are planted. In fact, peonies hate to be moved and will punish the gardener for many years by not blooming if their roots are disturbed. Within a few days, the red buds already look like a miniature forest:

And finally in May, the one week peony growers look forward to all year:

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! It looks gorgeous over there Mom! I'll bet all that rain will make for a glorious spring.... Can't wait to see your beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete