Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Peach pie


Once upon a time, I made a fruit pie from scratch every weekend. John used to take pie to work for breakfast, but now he takes homemade granola instead. It takes effort to make granola too, but I can make a big batch twice a month. Plus I like granola with plain yogurt weekday mornings, and I never eat pie.

Well, almost never. I am crazy about fresh peach pie in the summer. I use Martha Stewart's simple butter crust, but usually mix the filling together without a recipe: 4 or 5 sliced sugared peaches, cinnamon, and about 1/4 cup of flour baked in my shallow earthenware pie dish. I'm showing off this pie because it cut perfectly, with a crispy bottom crust and juicy (but not runny) filling. Fresh peaches are all different, and that doesn't always happen.

The most important thing I've learned about fruit pies is to bake them for a long time. If your recipe says take it out when the "filling starts to bubble" ignore that, and leave it in for another half hour. This is the only way to get a nice bottom crust.

2 comments:

  1. Suzy,
    Don't like pie??! Sounds almost unAmerican. elderberry pie is just about the best thing on the palate. If you like peach pie, try mixing in berries sometime; delectable! I see you are from the do-not-bake crust school; seems to be about a 50/50 split between those who bake before filling and those who do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like pie just fine, thank you! But it goes right to the waistline though so I don't make it very often. And wouldn't you agree John is better off eating granola for breakfast :-) Although he worries that I'll get out of practice making pie.

    ReplyDelete