Monday, August 2, 2010

Growing food

After being mean about the words sustainability and local, I have to confess I'm growing more food in my garden than ever before. But what gives with these tomatoes? So far just a bumper crop of foliage and flowers. It has been a cool (at times, downright cold) summer.

In late June I bought some sad looking vegetable starts off the clearance rack: zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers. I stuck them in bare spots in the flower beds. Why waste perfectly good garden real estate all summer. I'm sure it won't bother the bulbs underneath, and I saw the first baby zucchinis yesterday.
Remember my Topsy-Turvy pepper planter from April?
Here's the first hot pepper-- the box says I'll soon have hundreds more.

A success story. It looked so pitiful right after I planted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment