Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Waiting for swallows

Barn swallows love horse barns. Every place I've kept Sizzle had them around all summer. I love seeing them darting in and out, and watching the baby heads sticking out of nests while I groom my horse. They make a mighty racket when the parents show up with a mouthful of food. The mating pairs arrive from South America about the beginning of April, so I've been looking for them lately. It's a happy day when you see the first one.

They travel so far, and here they're met by barn managers with a full range of emotions-- mostly tolerance but occasionally annoyance. Yes, they make noisy nests and their white droppings can mess up the barn aisles, but it seems like a small price for the pleasure and benefit they bring. After all, barn swallows eat nothing but insects, and help keep the stable flies under control. Which is why they like barns in the first place. Still, I've seen nests knocked down over the years by property owners, even with eggs in them.

I find it amazing that there are people who actually "don't like" birds. But there you have it. So I'm glad I'm at a civilized barn with kind people who would never disturb beautiful, useful birds. It's a true miracle how swallows find their way to a tiny rural oasis in center of a big city.

It's been cold here. Where are they? Late? Lost? Maybe just hanging out in warm Capistrano for a few days before the final push north. I don't blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment