Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Snake plants and Mother-in-Law Tongues

Evil sounding names for nice houseplants. I always thought they were the same, but the Internet tells me the snake plant (below) has white horizontal bands, and the mother-in-law tongue (above) has leaves edged with yellow. Nice.
I put some of my scruffy houseplants outside to fend for themselves, so I've been on the lookout for new ones. I dug this big snake plant off a packed pallet at Home Depot; really a bad place to buy houseplants, although you can get lucky if they're fresh off the truck. It was top heavy and root bound and tipped over in the car, making an awful mess. Snaky thing. I transplanted it into this heavy blue pot, and put it where it won't be moved until Christmas. They like low light and low water-- in short, neglect.

Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) is native to places like the Congo and Nigeria. It's supposedly one of the best houseplants for removing pollution from indoor air.

No comments:

Post a Comment