Monday, February 15, 2010

Lobster, steak and red cake

I don't cook lobster often (who does?) but QFC had a special on 8 oz. lobster tails, so I splurged. I found plenty of Internet advice on how to prepare them. Boil, steam, broil, grill. But the fish counter lady said to wrap it in foil and bake, then use the broiler to finish it with lemon butter.
What a beautiful creature! But I'm glad I only had to deal with the tail end...
The first step is to snip the shell all along the back. The skewers just keep it from curling up like a snail when it cooks. Then I baked it for 15 minutes. This was a big guy and it was still only partially cooked when I put it under the broiler. It went under the hot infra-red for about 10 more minutes.
Then I cut it in half, with shell flying everywhere. Here's the mouth-watering treat. A big chunk for each, which we dipped in melted butter, and ate with champagne. Mine was gone in a twinkling-- what a piggy!

And if THAT wasn't high enough on the food chain, we also shared a rib steak!
Followed by some red velvet cake...
Hope you had a good day, too. Thank you John, for the beautiful red roses!
(Tonight we're back to plain pasta and salad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment